Edmonton contains one of Londonís most ancient parishes. For centuries, the parish church of All Saints served the then rural community of Edmonton. During the second half of the nineteenth century, as London continued to rapidly expand, the population of Edmonton grew significantly. Thousands of new houses were built, and new worship centres were needed. Eventually, new parishes were carved out of the large, ancient parish of Edmonton, and two of these were St Peterís, in Bounces Road and St Martinís, in Town Road. St Peterís was dedicated in 1902 and St Martinís in 1911. After the Second World War, Church of England attendances began to decrease and finally, in 1977, the church of St Martinís was closed. It is now the Greek Orthodox Church of St Demetrios. The district that formed the old parish of St Martinís became a part of the new benefice of St Peter with St Martin, Lower Edmonton.